10 April 2012

playing with meter readings

I was doing the dishes this morning and noticed a nice large patch of sunlight on the kitchen floor so grabbed the camera. Ever since the composition lecture the other week, where we were shown some fantastic photos - one particular one (taken from inside an old car looking out where only the outside is visible and the inside of the car is black) has stayed with me and I've been wanting to experiment with getting the same effect. I realise it is just getting familiar with where to take my meter levels to produce the different result. The following two shots I took (after some initial playing around with ISO, aperture and shutterspeed) highlight the differences. 

I took my meter reading from the lino outside the sunlit area.
ISO 100, f/11, 1/4s

I took my meter reading from the lino inside the sunlit area.
ISO 100, f/11, 1/200s
Only the shutterspeed was adjusted in this case, but i could have adjusted the ISO and aperture as well if I had wanted to (or was photographing something moving).

No comments:

Post a Comment