3 June 2012

to border or not to border?.....

Ok so the time has come - I have all my final images and now I can make a bordering decision. As I mentioned in an earlier post I have printed some of the earlier work to see how it look and assess the paper and the effect of a border.

At first I started with the obvious choice of a black edge. Here are my experiments and comments:
This border I feel it too thick and overpowering, squashing the image in the frame.
This is a better size above but I now feel like the black is the
 wrong colour choice for the mainly brown sepia toned images.
I think this dark brown is much better choice than the black but as I have decided
to group my images in sets of two or three I need to try this setup....

....and this is far too much with both the images I think.
There is a real divide between the two and the border
colour adds another element to the imagery that I don't think
is necessary and is distracting instead. 


Above I have removed the borders and just use the white space
between each image to separate it.

This is much better and more of what I'm after. It's much
lighter and has less emphasis on trapping the image inwards.
I want to use the space between the images as a breath almost
to balance them out between each other. The cut off sections
of the images lead your eyes onto the next image beside it,
joining the picture up as a whole but at the same time
keeping an effective contrast between each image.

No comments:

Post a Comment